Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Entry #7

Gilbert, M. J, & Coomes, J. (2010). What Mathematics do high school teachers need to know? Mathematics Teacher, 103(6), 418-423.

As the title implies, the article discusses what teachers really need to be able to do and know when teaching mathematics. According to Gilbert and Coomes, having a greater understanding of how and why students are doing specific tasks in a certain way is superior in importance to knowing how to do advanced level of mathematics. Responses from different students are provided in the article after being posed with the following proportion problem, “Lincoln Elementary School pairs second- and sixth-grade students as ‘study buddies.’ What is the ratio of second- to sixth-grade students if 2/3 of the second graders are paired with 3/4 of the sixth graders?” Each of the responses published were different, and not all of them were correct. The authors used this to display that it is far more important for an instructor to be able to see things through multiple different view points and be able to determine what is correct or incorrect and why that is so. According to the authors, being able to teach mathematics extends beyond being able to solve the specific problems. Teaching mathematics requires knowledge of how to solve problems but, it also, and most importantly, requires the knowledge and ability to recognize new ways of things or find errors and correct them.

I also believe that it is of greater importance to understand in depth the material to be taught rather than being able to do difficult upper level math. In the article, a teacher that they worked with was quoted essentially saying that she would have preferred to spend her time covering in depth what it is she would be teaching rather than taking upper level math classes. I too have had this issue tug at me. My high school did not offer anything above calculus 1 and statistics. I feel that since I will not being teaching linear algebra in high school and definitely not in middle school, that it is verging on waste time. It may be interesting but since I won’t be teaching in it, I am not sure that it is worth studying. I have found that throughout my entire life I have just done things in math without a sound understanding of what is being done. I agree that it is important so that I will be able to know why things are the way they are in mathematics. I would not consider myself a valuable educator if I could not answer questions of why we use a specific rule or procedure. Lastly, it is important to have the ability to understand approaches by different students so that they can be appropriately addressed. An approach that is successful could be useful in teaching in the future, and an approach that was unsuccessful needs to be corrected so that lasting misunderstandings are not created. It is more important to me to be able to teach and understand adequately what I will be teaching than it is to be able to do highly sophisticated mathematics.

5 comments:

  1. Ali,

    I really like how clear your first paragraph was. I could easily follow it and was not confused at all. I wonder though, if there was anymore detail you could have included. Maybe what the different responses where for the 2/3 and 3/4 problem. I am curious to know! But overall, it made a lot of sense and flowed very nicely!

    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job writing this. You had clear topic sentences and did a nice job expounding them.

    I've heard some discussions about why Math Ed. majors have to take so many upper level math classes. Some people definitely view it as a waste of time, maybe part of it is and the system could be changed to use time more efficiently. In defense of taking upper level math classes, there are definitely some parts of high school level mathematics that did not completely sink in until I was taking college level math courses. I think a lot of the things you learn in Algebra make a lot more sense after you take Calculus. Also, I think it helps us see some of the applications of the math.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the tone of the first paragraph. It was very professional in the way you told the reader what the article was about. I was only confused by thte very last sentence where you said

    "requires the knowledge and ability to recognize new ways of things or find errors and correct them."

    New ways of things?

    What things are you talking about?

    Overall godd job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a fantastic job summarizing what the author's main points are and keeping your own ideas out of it until the second paragraph. It was structured, and professional-sounding. Nice concluding sentence. The only time I was a but uncertain about what was going on was when you were giving the example. Maybe you could have been a bit clearer on that. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely agree! I think we need to focus more on the mathematics we will be teaching. We are not going to be teaching linear algebra and differential equations. I think to be the best teachers we can be we need to focus on teaching concepts in an in depth manner.

    ReplyDelete